Article Image
News Link • Media: Television

2013 Ratings: CNN Tops MSNBC in Total Day, But Hits 20-Year Low in Primetime


The ratings for 2013 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):

Primetime (Mon-Sun): 568,000 Total Viewers / 183,000 A25-54 Total Day (Mon-Sun): 413,000 Total Viewers / 131,000 A25-54

Compared to 2012, CNN was flat in total viewers and down -2% in the A25-54 demographic in total day, down the least compared to Fox News and MSNBC. In primetime, the channel was down -16% in total viewers and -18% in the A25-54 demographic. With the exception of HLN, all the cable news networks are down compared to 2012, which was a Presidential election year.

Despite the network’s 20-year low in Monday to Sunday primetime, the weekday prime shows were up compared to 2012.  “Anderson Cooper 360″ is up for the year, +18% in total viewers and +19% in the A25-54 demographic. Ditto “Piers Morgan Tonight,” which was up +1% in total viewers and +2% in the demo year-over-year. The 10pmET timeslot — which may be prime territory for further experimentation in 2014 — was up +2% and down -1%, respectively. 

Join us on our Social Networks:


Share this page with your friends on your favorite social network:

Purse.IO Save on All Amazon Purchases