March 6, 2011
Eight SAS soldiers have been detained by rebels in Libya, according to Sky News sources.
Rebel sources told Sky that the group are being held in Libya’s second city in Benghazi.
The Ministry of Defence and the Foreign Office have neither confirmed or denied the report but Defence Secretary Liam Fox has confirmed that a “small diplomatic team” is in Benghazi to talk to Libyan rebels.
Mr Fox declined to comment on reports the SAS unit guarding the team had been detained.
“We are in touch with them but it would be inappropriate for me to comment further on that” he told the Andrew Marr show.