News Link • Foreign Policy

Foreign Policy Experts Agree With Ron Paul’s Controversial Foreign Policy

• abcnews.go.com

Ron Paul is often chided by his Republican opponents for his extreme views on American foreign policy.  His calls for ending all foreign wars and shutting hundreds of military bases across the globe have drawn howls from his GOP rivals, who have labeled the moves irresponsible and naïve.

His campaign pledge of cutting all foreign aid and withdrawing U.S. participation in the World Trade Organization and the United Nations has been at odds with even the most conservative members of his own party.

Yet as voting day in Iowa and New Hampshire draws near, Paul, the Congressman from Texas, is finding support for his non-interventionist positions from a growing number of foreign policy experts.

“He’s attacking our rich lazy friends, why is that not more popular,” said  Harvey Sapolsky, emeritus professor of public policy and organization at MIT. He backs Paul’s calls for reducing America’s military budget, arguing that much of it is used to defend wealthy nations’ security.

A huge, Cold War-era global presence — with hundreds of overseas military bases — isn’t necessary, now that the Soviet threat is over and the collapse of communism, Sapolsky said.

Comment by Treavor Presentlyinphoenix

I'm reading this and have one comment: Psychic Taxi is a heavy, a professional activist. I wouldn't be so dismissive if I were you guys. Plus he's an Oyate. An Arizona Oyate. We'll go toe-to-toe. The only question is if you are worth it.

Comment by Ed Vallejo

Can you update this?

I can't find anything there to give you credibility for these words you are spouting.  Did you learn something new since L.A.City college other than which lens you need to take a picture...?

Comment by Venancio Tan

Attaboy, Voit! Give it to them! If you have obtained your Ph.D. lately, put it to good use to help the less sophisticated pass over their humps in life. You will get your well-earned return, even though it is only a psychic reward.

Comment by Ed Price

Solomon said (NIV):

Proverbs 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.

Proverbs 26:5
Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

Solomon also said (NIV):

Proverbs 29:9
If a wise person goes to court with a fool, the fool rages and scoffs, and there is no peace.

Comment by George Voit

Psychictaxi: Match my politesse.

Why should you worry about not knowing the Phantoms of the Opera? Who cares?

In this website you are a guest – I mean a ghost. I don’t know about you – and I honestly don’t care -- but me, since I came from graduate school and I am just new here, let’s just say that I am Gaspar, the friendly ghost, here to help you!

If I have to waste my time educating you, Anonymity is what makes so many websites great, like this one. You have just shown to me that you really don’t know. Learn more about online publishing which in graduate studies, is next to my major specialization. Your trouble begins if you are here with a zero-knowledge of Journalism.

If the gas tank above your shoulders is empty as V.T. and Bakadude had pointed out, surely you cannot argue sensibly and even though you believe you are a psychic, you cannot taxi down those who know how to argue by simply badmouthing them.

Review the comments below. I commented how you badmouthed V.T. He was stating his opinion that U.S. Military Bases around the world is necessary for the reasons he had given. You hit him below the belt by foolishly insinuating that he is a Northrup-Grummon man receiving a "retirement check" for voicing his opinion.

In the spirit of an honest debate that I thought you were qualified to participate intelligently but as of now found out that you are not qualified, I posed to you this question as follows [you can find this below]:

"Al Qaeda and Osama bin Ladin argued AGAINST the U.S. Government and the Military Industrial Complex that win our wars, like the way Psycho [this is how you named and acted yourself for short, not me] argues against the U.S. Government and Military Industrial Complex, does this mean that Psycho is working for Al Qaeda and bin Ladin … or he is just receiving his paycheck from any terrorist fund in the U.S. per attack he makes?"

You cannot rebut this test of your ability to reason out your "Ad Hominem" aggression. This explains why I said you can’t argue – with an empty tank above your shoulders – admit that you just ran out gas!

And now that you have proven to yourself that you have no capacity to argue civilly, sensibly, and politely, you hide this disability or handicap behind your personal desire to know who the Phantoms of the Opera are, here in Freedom Forum. You must know that by changing the topic, it neither erase a handicap nor cure an inborn disability.

In closing this argument: If you can prove me wrong by presenting proof or evidence that you proved me wrong, I will buy from you London Bridge that you are selling in public to everyone.

I am sorry this is deep to you, but if you want to debate with me, you cannot be so vulgar the way you are; you must observe the right and proper decorum in the conduct of an "intellectual exchange", you must come up to my level and match my politesse or observe the standard behavioral refinement required of an ordinary educated man. You got it?

Comment by George Voit

Psychictaxi: Why should you worry about not knowing the Phantoms of the Opera? Who cares?

In this website you are a guest – I mean a ghost. I don’t know about you – and I honestly don’t care -- but me, let’s just say that I am Gaspar, the friendly ghost!

If I have to waste my time educating you, Anonymity is what makes so many websites great, like this one. You have just shown to me that you really don’t know. Learn more about online publishing. Your trouble begins if you are here with a zero-knowledge of Journalism.

If the gas tank above your shoulders is empty, surely you cannot argue sensibly and even though you believe you are a psychic, you cannot taxi down those who know how to argue by simply badmouthing them.

You cannot rebut this test of your ability to reason out your Ad Hominem aggression. This explains why I said you can’t argue – with an empty tank above your shoulders -- you just ran out gas!

I am sorry this is deep to you, but if you want to debate with me, you cannot be so vulgar the way you are; you must observe the right and proper decorum in the conduct of an intellectual exchange, you must come up to my level and match my politesse or observe the standard behavioral refinement required of an ordinary educated man. You got it?

Comment by Ed Price

Great response, Psychictaxi.

Did you ever notice how many of the trained professionals - doctors, lawyers, college professors, and the like - just don't seem to have it all together when they write? Certainly, they all are not this way. In fact, some of them are above excellence when expressing themselves on paper.

Why is it that we get the kinds of folks commenting here in FP, who are are trained professionals in the academics - you can tell by the way they parrot certain phrases - but they can't seem to say in any clear way exactly what they are getting at. Sure, you can tell that they are against freedom and liberty, but they are so clumsy in what they express, that it is difficult to figure out if there are really any points that they are getting at, to say nothing about what those points might be.

Comment by Ed Vallejo

Funny - I can find no reference to a 'George Voit' anywhere on the 'net.

COINCIDENCE?

You can look me up easily and see what I have done and where I've been since coming out of the woodwork in 2004 - why can't I do the same with 'George Voit', 'Venancio Tan', 'Bakadude', or 'JVdeville'?

...and now I'm 'psycho' with an empty tank...

What happened to "I abhor gutter remarks." huh JD?

You trolls crack me up!

Comment by George Voit

It is not fair for Psycho to ask V.T. if he is paid by Northrup-Grummon because he argues that U.S. Military Bases around the world is necessary. This “taxi” has an empty tank above his shoulders [Tan, Bakadude] and could not argue after running out of gas or out of cerebral fuel.

Al Qaeda and Osama bin Ladin argued AGAINST the U.S.Government and the Military Industrial Complex that win our wars, like the way Psycho argues against the U.S. Government and Military Industrial Complex, does this mean that Psycho is working for Al Qaeda and bin Ladin … or he is just receiving his paycheck from any terrorist fund in the U.S. per attack he makes ?

Do you think this question is fair?

Comment by Ed Vallejo

ACCOUNTABILITY.  That's the problem - always has been.  Of course this is something you four capitalize on seeing that you have 'usernames' you HIDE BEHIND.  This way you can safely dispense your dribble without consequence.

I give creedence to words that have real and true names to attribute the words to, that way everyone can see the DEEDS CONNECTED TO THESE NAMES - giving them their true value in context.

Comment by Anonymous

Like the others below, I question any foreign policy “expert” who agrees with Ron Paul’s foreign policy.

But my assessment of commentaries in this section of FP.com is only my own opinion. Although it may sound assertive or authoritative, it does not pretend to be impeccable.

I have been monitoring this interesting debate between PureTrust and V.T. They are good examples of how proper decorum is strictly observed in presenting arguments or how one should behave when engaged in intellectual exchanges.  I abhor gutter remarks.

I join PureTrust in thanking V.T. and Bakadude for the latter’s “superior” arguments. Their remarkable intelligence stimulates the readers’ adrenalin including mine.

Interestingly, PureTrust’s witty response seems to grab attention every time he argues his piece in the higher level like V.T. and Bakadude do as he takes the opposite side of the issue.  I think not only me but also others have the pleasure of reading them.

I agree with PureTrust that V.T. and Bakadude challenged Libertarians to think in good riddance, although the revolutionary radicals among them disagree with their stand with a certain degree of hostility.

As targets of Libertarian disagreement, it is obvious that V.T. and Bakadude qualify Libertarianism as a philosophy and apply its tenets to the present reality of the time. Although they subscribe to the belief that the individual should have a complete freedom of thought and action, they admit that this not entirely possible.

There is no doubt that V.T. and Bakadude are idealists and realists at the same time. To live in a Free Enterprise Society, they recognize the need of Government and the State; they became advocates of established American institutions, defending the traditional American way of life like Guardians of the Realm. Since they came from schools of higher learning, their cache of wisdom and knowledge propels them ahead in any discussion leaving their disadvantaged opponents much farther behind, particularly those who can only insult but cannot argue issues intelligently.

This is only my personal assessment after reading some of their published writings. I could be wrong.

Comment by Ed Price

The Venancio Tans and the bakadudes are usually a necessary part of the Libertarian movement. Here's why.

Most libertarians are not statesmen. Most libertarians recognize when something is wrong, but, unlike statesmen, they just can't seem to put their finger on the underlying cause of the problem. Enter the Venancio Tans and the bakadudes.

Who knows where the hearts of Venancio Tan and bakadude really lie? Are they truly expressing the way that they feel in their hearts? Or are they simply playing devil's advocate to stimulate the rest of us into thinking?

Yet, that is the precise reason we non-statesmen-types need Venancio Tan and bakadude. They stimulate us into understanding the underlying problems. They stimulate us into thinking all kinds of thoughts about where we need to focus to clean up the political mess we're in.

So, wherever you really stand, Venancio Tan and bakadude, my hat's off to you. Thank you for all the help you give. Whether or not we have received it as you meant it, we have received it just the same.

Comment by Ed Vallejo

Venancio - do you WORK for Northrup-Grummon, or do you just get a RETIREMENT CHECK from them?  You sure work hard maintaining the Military-Industrial Complex...

Or maybe a lobbyist?  Hmmmmm?

END PERPETUAL WAR dammit!

Comment by Venancio Tan
This foreign policy “expert” recommends the closure of U.S. Military Bases because there is no need for them in the present “Cold War-era”.

When do you build U.S. Military Bases -- when the world is at war or when there is war going on? Does this foreign policy “expert” understand that the powerful U.S. Military Bases around the globe prevent war because bigger nation bullies could not trample and crush smaller and weaker nations, much more of our enemies thinking of launching a war against the United States when they are surrounded by U.S. Military Bases that could obliterate them to kingdom come?

A pea-brain like this – especially that of a candidate wanting to become president of the United States when the crow turns white – is most annoying.  What kind of a foreign policy “expert” is this anyway …

As an “unelectable” candidate, all these scripted propaganda for Ron Paul does not work. The mainstream Media and the American people can see through. Whatever he says or does, no longer matters. They are just waiting for him to drop out from the GOP presidential nomination race, because historically that’s what he always do in just a matter of time following all these propaganda flares which was fun while they lasted.

Stop Wars T-shirt at The Bitcoin Store