Explore a new universe
You're invited to our newest online political party
Jan. 8, 2006 12:00 AM
This is an invitation for you to watch and be part of the creation of a universe.
We are building an online universe at azcentral.com that is all about Arizona politics. It will be filled with interesting people and rapidly developing information about our state. On hand will be many of our state policymakers and experts commenting on a vast array of Arizona issues.
If you click on pluggedin.az central.com this Monday, you can watch this universe begin to evolve. It is called Plugged In, and it is not the group blog we've featured for nearly three years on azcentral .com and the Viewpoints section.
This, in fact, is an ever-growing political sphere that knocks down the walls of the traditional newspaper. We are inviting in lots of interesting people and unique voices, including yours.
On Monday when you go to this new and greatly expanded Plugged In, you'll find:
• An editor. We've got a good one. Dan Nowicki, formerly editor of the Scottsdale Republic Opinions pages, will be your daily guide to Arizona politics. What will he do?
He'll save you time. He's going to spare you the hassle of wading through every possible online information stream on Arizona politics for news about our state. He'll use his good judgment to point you to what you need to know.
Dan brings to this job a deep understanding of politics and public policy, having covered the Arizona Legislature and the U.S. Congress. He possesses Internet savvy and a genuine appreciation and love for Arizona, which has been his home state since he was 3 years old. Every day on Dan's page, you'll get a crisp, concise report on what's happening in Arizona politics.
• Republic columnists. Some of the most authoritative and interesting voices on Arizona politics begin blogging this week. Robert Robb, Jon Talton, Richard Ruelas, Doug MacEachern, Linda Valdez and Richard de Uriarte will kick off new pages that you can bookmark at republicblogs.azcentral.com.
Soon after we'll be rolling out:
• The Virtual Legislature. We are providing every state lawmaker and the governor their own personal page on azcentral.com to express their views unfiltered and directly to you.
• Pluggedin-Arizona. Our original Plugged In bloggers - our pioneers - will be back along with some fresh faces. This new, improved project would never have happened had our original group not proven blogging can work on azcentral.com.
• New Plugged In indexes. We'll be constantly building additions to Plugged In by topic and region. For instance, we'll create Plugged In blogging communities with some of the best minds on the environment, business, education, etc.
• Your opinions. Now you'll be able to comment on any and all the content at Plugged In. This is a conversation about Arizona, and your views are not only welcome but encouraged.
So come and join us at pluggedin.azcentral .com, bookmark us and watch us grow. And don't hesitate to tell us what you think.
Phil Boas is deputy editorial page editor. He can be reached at email@example.com or (602) 444-8292