After all of the pressure to get the applications for the Vote Count Verification Committee in by Friday, the deadline was extended until 2:00 PM August 14, 2006 but I just found out about it. We may get another application completed as a result. From the SOS website:
Deadline has been extended until 2 p.m. on Monday, August 14, 2006.
The Arizona Legislature passed a new law (SB 1557) this year that requires a random sample of voting precincts to be hand counted after the elections. The purpose of the hand count will be to compare the results to the machine count to assure the machines are working properly and accurately counting the votes.
The law requires that the Secretary of State appoint a seven member “Vote Count Verification Committee” to designate the margins used in reviewing the hand counting of votes and set the acceptable variance rate between the machine and hand counts.
The seven members serving on the committee must have expertise in any two or more of the following areas:
1. Advanced mathematics
3. Random selection methods
4. Systems operations
5. Voting systems
In addition, no more than three of the members may be affiliated with the same political party, and a person is not eligible to serve on the committee if that person has been affiliated with or received any income in the preceding five years from any person or entity that provides election equipment or services in this state.
The committee will need to meet one or more times within the next several weeks in meetings open to the public. Members of the committee are not eligible to receive compensation but are eligible for reimbursement of their expenses as provided by law.
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in applying to serve on the Vote Count Verification Committee, please fill out the form below and fax it to Kevin Tyne, Deputy Secretary of State, at (602) 542-1575. It can also be scanned and emailed to Kevin Tyne at Sosadmin@azsos.gov. Finally, a hard copy can be mailed to the Arizona Secretary of State’s Office, 1700 W. Washington, 7th Floor, Phoenix, Arizona 85007. All applications must be received by 2 p.m. on Monday, August 14, 2006.
If you have any questions, please contact Kevin Tyne, Deputy Secretary of State, at (602) 542-0681, or Sosadmin@azsos.gov.
Instructions and Application
Instructions to apply for the Vote Count Verification Committee
1. The application form below is in pdf. Open the application form and type in your answers.
2. If more space is needed for an answer, attach additional pages to the end of the application form and put the corresponding question number next to your answer.
3. Completely answer all questions. If a question does not apply, type "not applicable" in the space provided. If the information is not available, write "not available" and state the reason(s) the information is not available.
4. Print out the application. Attach all required documents. APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT INCLUDE THE REQUIRED RESUME AND STATEMENT OF INTEREST WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR NOMINATION.
5. Sign your application and have your signature on the application notarized.
6. Mail, fax, e-mail or drop off the signed, notarized application and attachments to:
Arizona Secretary of State’s Office
Vote Count Verification Committee
1700 W. Washington Street, 7th Fl.
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Fax: (602) 542-1575
e-mail scanned applications to: Sosadmin@azsos.gov
7. All applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 11, 2006.
If you have any questions, please contact Kevin Tyne, Deputy Secretary of State, at (602) 542-0681, or e-mail: Sosadmin@azsos.gov.
5739 N. 11TH WAY
PHOENIX, AZ. 85014
SUPREME COURT OF THE STATE OF ARIZONA
Petitioner, CASE NO. CV-06-0252-SA
JAN BREWER – Arizona Secretary of State SPECIAL ACTION REPLY
Petitioner asks that the Arizona Supreme Court evaluate the approval of SB 1557 by the United States Department of Justice (Respondent’s Supplemental filing of August 11th, 2006) and determine if any action is required of them to ensure compliance with the law. Consideration should be given to the date when applications for the ‘Verification Committee’ were promoted and if there has been adequate promotion provided to allow compliance with the law.
Respectfully submitted this 14th day of August, 2006, by:
5739 N. 11th Way
Phoenix, Az. 85014