Las Vegas, Nevada
WWW: <http://livingwithou tborders. org/>
WHAT IS LIVING WITHOUT BORDERS?
The 2nd annual Living Without Borders encuentro will be held from Friday, November 6 to Sunday, November 8, 2009, in Las Vegas, Nevada, on the campus of University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Living Without Borders / Viviendo Sin Fronteras is an encuentro sponsored by the United Coalition for Im/migrant Rights in Las Vegas, which will bring together hundreds of activists and community members, for a weekend of discussion, action and entertainment devoted to immigration freedom, raising consciousness, and organizing in our communities. This year's encuentro will be devoted to the theme of "Building Autonomous Communities y Celebrando Cambio Social."
WHAT CAN I DO THERE?
Living Without Borders is based around discussions, workshops, and presentations which give participants the opportunity to share skills, share ideas, discuss important issues, organize campaigns, and have fun as a community.
Keynote addresses by:
* Author RINKU SEN ("The Accidental American: Immigration and Citizenship in the Age of Globalization" )
* Representatives from LA MUJER OBRERA autonomous community in El Paso, Texas (<http://www.mujerobr era.org/>).
Throughout the encuentro, there will be workshops on immigration freedom, the criminalization of immigrants, the interconnection of struggles, community organizing, activist skill-shares, defending
social justice through language, and more. There'll be tabling space for participants to connect with artists and organizations in the community. We encourage participants (that means *you*) to propose and facilitate their own workshops about issues and projects that matter to them. (Have a great idea for a workshop? Fill out our online form
to propose it at <http://livingwithou tborders. org/workshops>.)
In addition to the keynotes and the workshops, there'll be meals to share, with a free breakfast and lunch. There will be tables for participants and organizations to display information, zines, art, and things they have made. (If you or a group you are a part of would be interested in tabling at the encuentro, you can sign up at <http://livingwithou tborders. org/tabling>.) And there'll be nightly music shows, art, a bit of teatro rascuache, and hands-on activism for social justice.
**Free breakfast and lunch will be provided for those who register in advance.**
Past workshops at Living Without Borders have included:
* Presentations on the criminalization of immigrants, imagining a world without borders, and the interconnection of struggles like immigration freedom, anti-racism, queer liberation, and feminism.
* Skill-sharing on activism and defending social justice through arguments and language.
* Showings of films like "Easy Targets / Los Vulnerables" on the immigrant struggle.
* Group discussions on organizing and strategy, like "Our Time Is Now/ We Are the Ones We Have Been Waiting For: how to enact our vision of
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Website: <http://livingwithou tborders. org/>
Twitter: <http://twitter. com/lv_sinfronte ras>
E-mail: Organizers <organizers@livingwi thoutborders. org>
If you or a group you are a part of would be interested in tabling at the encuentro, you can sign up at <http://livingwithou tborders. org/tabling>.