If you have anyone remotely qualified in your Meetup, please encourage them to apply for this job!
Director Digital Content Management at PBS
So here is another way we can help each other, and the Revolution.
This job is in Arlington / Crystal City (Virginia). It includes editorial control over content, including election 2008 coverage. "Nuff said.
I don't work at PBS though I know someone there and may be able to facilitate if you can credibly fill the role.
I've pasted the description below and you can search for it on their website as well at. http://www.pbs.org/aboutpbs/jobsdatabase/
POSITION TITLE: Director, Digital Content Management
DEPARTMENT: PBS Interactive
SUPERVISOR: Sr. Director, PBS Interactive
* Responsible for maximizing the quality and impact of the general audience content team in the coordination of PBS’s Internet-based and digital content and services with the intention of helping PBS deliver on its vision of being the most trusted, valued and supported media organization in America.
* Serve as part of a dynamic team of journalistic professionals committed to maintaining and supporting high quality editorial and innovative news, features and multimedia on the PBS.org web site, member station web sites and on new and emerging platforms
* Lead development of content across a wide variety of genres including news and public affairs, science and technology, history, arts and culture, home improvement and more, serving as a key editorial lead and decision-maker in the overall content commissioning process
* Provide editorial oversight including day-to-day management of workflow and assignments and the direct coordination of participants, activities and communications
* Provide strategic and tactical new media leadership on special high-profile projects such as the framing and planning around PBS’s 2008 Election coverage
* Cultivate and manage relationships with both content producers and the PBS station community, providing information and consulting services as needed to strengthen the user experience system-wide
* Through relationships with TV producers, responsible for fielding and evaluating content proposals submitted to PBS directly from producers.
* Assist in the support of content for 300+ sites system-wide
* Maintain continuously current knowledge of emerging media technologies, trends and competitive offerings
* Anticipates their impact and application to new and existing services
* Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and success of projects, measuring actual results against desired outcomes, mission intentions and fundraising goals
* Oversee five or more content managers and other hires as deemed appropriate
A minimum 6+ years combined experience in one or more of the following areas is required: Managing the development of online content, editorial and web production experience, multi-media management experience is required
* Online publishing experience, including digital distribution, podcasting is required
* Experience successfully managing relationships with TV producers is required
* Excellent experience in multi-million dollar contract negotiation is required
* Major media industry experience and journalistic background strongly preferred
* Experience with film or television production, video production management, or the creation of online/broadband video offerings is desired
* Experience teaching or managing the creation of educational online content is desired
* Experience in Public Television is preferred
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is required
* Familiarity with HTML, Flash, RSS feeds, downloadable and streaming media is required
* Familiarity with and major interest in Web 2.0 practices, social media tools, community services, social networking, wikis, and shareable widgets is required
OTHER SPECIAL SKILLS:
* The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
o Solid editorial judgment and content analysis skills and ability to clearly communicate content criteria and decisions o Proven leadership experience and evolved team development skills o Creative thinker who is not afraid to take risks o Ability to work quickly under pressure in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment o Attention to detail and pride in high-quality execution of work o Enthusiastic and energetic team player who is excited about the possibilities afforded by new technologies o Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with others; o Ability to successfully work independently and to operationalize an idea or strategy o Ability to develop plans, capture and analyze data, summarize findings and implement initiatives o Fan of PBS who is passionate about public media programming
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer