FREEDOM FORUM: Discussion

Make a Comment

Comments in Response

Comment by Barry Hess
Entered on:

So what do I do Now?  I got the same e-mail from "ToM W." and naturally sent off the $3,500.00 to git him home sound.......

That Tom, always foolin' around.

Comment by Tom Westbrook
Entered on:

Barry- I hope you're joking???

Comment by Powell Gammill
Entered on:

I certainly hope you are mking a very bad joke Barry.  If not contact the transactor and see if they can hold and return the cash, and call Scotland Yard immediately there after!

Comment by Tom Westbrook
Entered on:

I would like to thank all of those who called, ready to send money...thank goodness they called first. No, I don't need the money, and no I'm not in London.

Hopefully nobody falls for this scam. I was locked out of my facebook and email accounts, so I can't even send a notice to everyone that this is a scam. It's a good idea to have a backup copy of your contacts for this type of situation. 

I first notice an issue last night when I was logged on to my yahoo email, and suddenly it asked for my password again. When I typed in my password it would not take it. I thought it was strange, but did not think much of it until I got a call in the middle of the night asking me If I was really in London and needed money sent.

I don't know yet if they were able to get into my yahoo and facebook accounts or just gained access to my contacts and then locked me out. I know it's easy to lock someone out of facebook just by saying you forgot you password and reseting the password. A new password is sent to your email but if your locked out of that too, then you're stuck.

Comment by Barry Hess
Entered on:

Fear not my friends, I did not respond to them in any way.  I've gotten this same exact e-mail (with a different friend's name on it) a few times in the past.  My only thought was that the perpetrators had failed to correct the typos and linguistic idiosyncrasies  in all this time.

Comment by Virginia Strang
Entered on:

This scam is not exclusive to Facebook accounts. I received this same e-mail twice from the same person and she does not have a Facebook account.

Comment by Jean Carbonneau
Entered on:

Sounds like the scams being run for men to get Russian wives, or Nigerian men posing to be women to get you to send money, are making their way onto Facebook.  I had one of "Facebook" friends wanting me to call a number and claim to be her husband so we could get 17 million pounds sterling.

If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. 

Comment by Jess Peters
Entered on:

My friend got her account hacked this way.

She said it was right after she entered her password into an email from "Yahoo" claiming she "did not log into her email account enough, and had to do so RIGHT THEN" to keep her account active.

The hacker deleted all her contacts too!

Make a Comment