FREEDOM FORUM: Discussion

Make a Comment

Comments in Response

Comment by Dennis Treybil
Entered on:

Consider the following excerpt from Article IV Section 4 of the constitution for the USoA:

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government,

Recently, I had cause to look up the definition of republic.

Given the above-cited provision of the Constitution and the 23 years I've spent studying the constitution, you'd think I already knew that.

But I didn't.

I was surprised.

Gistwise, a republic is a system of government in which the people hold supreme power, their will generally expressed through a legislature.

So the national (not to be confused with federal) legislative body and the state legislative bodies, as well as any county or municipal legislative bodies are one type of organ through which the people express their will.

Juries are another.

A jury is yet another check against the exercise of executive power to deprive individuals of their life, liberty, or property.

Consider the following excerpt from Baldwin's article:

And one of the chief reasons for the explosion of incarcerations in this country must be laid at the doorstep of uninformed and ignorant juries who allow judges and prosecutors to blind them regarding their responsibility to protect their neighbors and fellow citizens from unjust, unconstitutional laws.

How can any populace enjoy supreme power when they do not even know it is theirs, nevermind its particulars?

I have not seen a statement associating juries with republicanism anywhere, including this article.  I feel this needs to be added to the conversation.

I think I just did that.

DC Treybil

Comment by Yohan Dough
Entered on:

The original memos and other documents concerning the dropping of the A Bomb on Japan are available on line and support the scenario that it saved many American lives.  That this article says "... makes them feel better about killing hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians (mostly women and children)" shows to me that what he is after is the propagation of shame and regret. As Gar Alperovitz is considered a history revisionist by many of his peers, I wouldn't give his writings much credence.  Consider the following: 

From Wikipedia:
"Alperovitz' writings criticizing the decision by U.S. President Harry S Truman to use the atomic bomb against Japan have been characterized as revisionist by several historians, including Robert James Maddox, Professor Emeritus of History at the Pennsylvania State University. Maddox has criticized Alperovitz for "his unscholarly use of ellipsis" and other alleged misrepresentation of sources. Maddox also accuses Alperovitz of cherry picking his sources, ignoring those that undermine his thesis."

From Amazon:
"Overlooks major works and a very large body of evidence"

You might also like to read the following link.  Pay close attention to the reaction to Japan to the dropping of the bombs in the section "Surrender of Japan and subsequent occupation:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

Make a Comment