TEHRAN, Iran – The Iranian government approved a plan Sunday to build 10 new uranium enrichment facilities, a dramatic expansion in defiance of U.N. demands it halt the program.
The decision comes only two days after the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency censured, demanding it immediately stop building a newly revealed enrichment facility near the holy city of Qom and freeze all uranium enrichment activities.
A Cabinet meeting headed byordered the to begin building five uranium enrichment sites that have already been studied and propose five other locations for future construction within two months.
In Vienna, spokeswoman Gillian Tudor said the U.N.'swould have no comment. But the announcement is likely to stoke already high tensions between Iran and the West over its controversial nuclear activities.
Iran has one industrial-scale uranium enrichment plant near, in central Iran. The said earlier this month that about 8,600 centrifuges had been set up in Natanz, but only about 4,000 were . The facility will eventually house 54,000 centrifuges.
The newly revealed enrichment site, known as Fordo, is a small scale site that will house nearly 3,000 centrifuges.
IRNA said the Cabinet ordered that the 10 new sites have a scale equal to Natanz's.