Article Image
News Link • Economy - Economics USA

Hummer is Pronounced Dead: Chinese Company Forced into Reverse

"GM will now work closely with Hummer employees, dealers and suppliers to wind down the business in an orderly and responsible manner," said John Smith, vice-president of corporate planning and alliances. The firm added it would continue to honour Hummer warranties, and provide service support and spare parts to current owners around the world. Waning popularity GM emerged from Chapter 11 in July last year, announcing that it would discontinue the Pontiac and Saturn, and saying it would sell Swedish brand Saab and its European operations, Opel. It eventually decided to keep Opel - which includes UK brand Vauxhall - and sell Saab to Dutch carmaker Spyker. Hummers were originally built as military off-road vehicles by a company called AM General. The brand took off as US motorists flocked to the sport utility vehicles favoured by celebrities including Arnold Schwarzenegger. GM bought the Hummer brand in 1999, but sales have suffered recently as the gas-guzzling performance and military image have become less popular. Hummers weigh up to five tonnes and have fuel consumption of about 15 miles per gallon. Tengzhong - which is based in China's Sichuan province - specialises in making equipment for the road, construction and energy industries. Under the terms of the original deal, Tengzhong was going to take an 80% stake in Hummer, with the remaining 20% going to Hong Kong entrepreneur Suo

3 Comments in Response to

Comment by Found Zero
Entered on:

Wow Ross, that's pretty sage. You sound like the kind of man I like talking to. If you aren't a product developer or industrial designer you should be.

Comment by Ross Wolf
Entered on:

It was inevitable the first day Hummers (War Vehicles) hit U.S. streets as civilian vehicles, they would fade from favor as Americans tired of WAR overseas. 

Comment by Found Zero
Entered on:

Hmmm.....nobody wants a bloated company that makes a bloated SUV that NOBODY but NOBODY EVER ACTUALLY DRIVES OFFROAD which is pumped by bloated old movie stars in a bloated old nation?

Never saw that one coming.

Join us on our Social Networks:


Share this page with your friends on your favorite social network:

Purse.IO Save on All Amazon Purchases