Apple said on Friday no customer information was compromised after Australian media reported a boy, 16, from the southern city of Melbourne, hacked into the world's most valuable company from his parent's basement many times over the last year, The Age newspaper reported, citing statements by the teenager's lawyer in Children's Court. He was summoned to a Melbourne court on Thursday.
Apple contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation which launched a major international investigation, The Age said, quoting statements made in court. The FBI then passed the case to the Australian Federal Police (AFP), where they later tracked down the teen and found software that had enabled the hacking.
The AFP raided the teen's family home in Melbourne and seized two laptops, a mobile phone, and a hard drive. Court documents said the teenage hacker stored 90 gigabytes of Apple secured files and customer accounts in a folder titled "hacky hack hack," the newspaper said.