Tesla's 100MW/129MWh Powerpack project in South Australia provide the same grid services as peaker plants, but cheaper, quicker, and with zero-emissions, through its battery system.
Here are the key findings from the report are that the Hornsdale Power Reserve:
* Has contributed to the removal of the requirement for a 35 MW local Frequency Control Ancillary Service (FCAS), saving nearly $40 million per year in typical annual costs
* Has reduced the South Australian regulation FCAS price by 75% while also providing these services for other regions
* Provides a premium contingency service with response time of less than 100 milliseconds
* Helps protect South Australia from being separated from the National Electricity Market
* Is key to the Australian Energy Market Operator's (AEMO) and ElectraNet's System Integrity Protection Scheme (SIPS) which protects the SA-VIC Heywood Interconnector from overload