This column is archived at: http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2007/cbarchive_20070724.html
When the colonies broke free from the shackles of the Crown, it was the moral and spiritual strength of colonial pulpits that helped lead the way. These revolutionary preachers became known as The Black Regiment, due to the long, black robes they were known to wear in the pulpit.
The Black Regiment taught their congregations the principles of freedom Sunday by Sunday. They expounded, explained, and extrapolated the Biblical principles of authority and jurisdiction carefully and meticulously. As a result, the men of colonial America were so well informed, both spiritually and politically, that when the time came to declare their independence, they had both the heart and mind to do it. Statesmen took up the pen, and soldiers took up arms in the greatest fight for freedom in world history. And leading both statesman and soldier was the Black Regiment.
If there is one question that I receive more than any other, it is, "Chuck, do you know a pastor like you in such and such a city?" I receive those letters and emails constantly. It is a heavy burden. I know they are out there, but where?
I must admit that I often fall victim to the same "woe is me" syndrome as did Elijah. I find myself crying, "I, even I only, am left." However, as God had 7,000 prophets in Israel that had not bowed the knee to Baal, so, too, God has a remnant-host of Black Regiment preachers in America today. The problem is, they are scattered hither and yon with little notice or recognition.
Therefore, I use this column today to enlist the help of my readers. Will you help me locate the Black Regiment? If you know of any Bible-believing, Gospel-preaching pastor who would qualify as being a Black Regiment preacher, would you please let me know who they are?
Before sending me your list of names, let's set some ground rules. In order to qualify as a Black Regiment pastor, the following criteria must be met:
1. He is a Bible believer: he believes the Bible is God's holy and authoritative Word.
2. He is the head of his own home, having his wife and children in subjection to his authority. No henpecked men here.
3. He is the spiritual leader and shepherd of his local congregation, not a committee-controlled man.
4. He is a strong proponent of the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution, and Bill of Rights.
5. He understands the necessity and integrity of sovereign national borders. And, to the degree that he understands it, has publicly spoken out against amnesty for illegal aliens and the burgeoning North American Union.
6. He understands freedom of speech and believes that a preacher is a spokesman for God (not the State) and has publicly decried so-called "hate crimes" legislation that would prohibit preachers from preaching Biblical truth regarding homosexuality.
7. He has publicly promoted the sanctity of life by preaching and protesting against abortion.
8. He has publicly repudiated the unconstitutional policies of President Bush in his promotion of the USA Patriot Act, warrantless wiretaps and eavesdropping, and the deceptive manner in which he led America into an undeclared, unprovoked, and preemptive war against Iraq.
9. He has publicly resisted "Seeker-Friendly," and "Purpose-Driven," and "Emerging Church" church growth movements.
10. He believes the church has a responsibility to be the salt and light of the world. That is, that we are to win souls to Christ, and resist Satan in whatever form (spiritual, social, political, cultural, etc.) he reveals himself.
Will you help me find such men? Please email me with as much contact information as possible, including the name of the pastor and church, his address, phone number, and email address.
I already have a short list of under 100 men who seem to be of Black Regiment caliber. I am confident there are many hundreds more. We need to be in contact with each other. We need to pray for each other. We need to support each other. We need to inform each other. We need to encourage each other. This Black Regiment list can be a tool to help accomplish all this and more.
If you know of only one such man, please let me know who he is. He might be thinking, "I, even I only, am left." He needs to know he is not alone. We all need to know that we are not alone.
Thanks for your help. I will keep readers of this column posted as to the results of my appeal.