Africa's most populous nation has just achieved something very important. This week Nigeria's voters handed a landslide victory to former president, Muhammadu Buhari.
Our current satellite coverage includes North America and Central America. Until recently, we were also on over much of Africa. More about what happened to our signal in a moment.
When Saddam Hussein was captured in 2003 by U.S. forces, Iraq War advocates boastfully celebrated the event as proof that they were right and used it to mock war opponents (Joe Lieberman and John Kerry, ...
A writer living in Nigeria turned the tables on American's overreaction and fear that travelers from African nations might bring Ebola into the United States, expressing his concern for "the measles-ravaged country America" on Twitter.
In Africa, the trend is towards providing citizens with free Wi-Fi in order to boost economic activity and education, in line with McKinsey's projection that if internet penetration grows in the same way as that of mobile phones on the continent, i
The Kenyan economics expert James Shikwati, 35, says that aid to Africa does more harm than good. The avid proponent of globalization spoke with SPIEGEL about the disastrous effects of Western development policy in Africa, corrupt rulers, and the ten
Nick Turse looks at the US military in Chad. Yep, I said "in Chad." 99% of Americans are undoubtedly unfamiliar with that landlocked African country and the remaining 1% have no idea the US military is deeply involved in Chad.
Scientists hope one day to use this ability to save them from being killed by the thousands by poachers. Researchers analyzed data from GPS tracking devices placed on elephants in 14 different herds in the Nambia region of Africa and plotted the ele
Here's how my Aug. 11, 2003, column began: "Anyone who believes President Bush's Africa initiative, including sending U.S. troops to Liberia, will amount to more than a hill of beans is whistling Dixie. Maybe it's overly pessimistic, but most
Community leaders in the hometown of more than 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls are cautiously optimistic about news of a cease-fire with the Islamic extremists who abducted their daughters six months ago.
Maybe I just don' t get it.
In this day and age, if a community is to prosper, it certainly helps if its residents have internet access.
In 1944, Borlaug moved to Mexico to work on breeding high-yield, disease-resistant strains of wheat. Mexico adopted them — and in 1970, wheat yields were six times what they had been in 1950. In 1965, India and Pakistan, then on the brink of wides