La Paz Co. Attorney files civil action against losing Quartzsite Mayor & Vice Mayor who refuse to leave office
Gammill For Congress
Arizona's Top News
At 3:56 yesterday afternoon, La Paz County Attorney Sam Vederman has filed a civil action of QUO WARRANTO against Joe Lizarraga and Barbara Cowell, case #CV201200082 in the La Paz County Superior Court.
QUO WARRANTO ("BY WHAT AUTHORITY") After being denied the right to take office, Mayor Elect Ed Foster and Councilman Elect Mark Orgeron filed complaints with Vederman's office claiming that outgoing Mayor Jose Lizarraga and Vice Mayor Barbara Cowell had usurped their office.
Pursuant to ARS12-2042, complaint CV-201200082 has been filed "Wherefore, the State requests the following relief:
1. For a judgment of usurpation pursuant to ARS 12-2045 against defendant Lizarraga.
2. For this court's order ousting and excluding defendant Lizarraga from the Office of Mayor of the Town of Quartzsite.
3. For a judgment of usurpation pursuant to ARS 12-2045 against defendant Cowell.
4. For this court's order ousting and excluding defendant Cowell from the Office of Council Member of the Town of Quartzsite
5. For such other orders and relief as this court deems just and proper in the circumstances.
This is history making legal move, as no other municipality in Arizona has an ordinance which sets limitations on who may run for public office, beyond those provided for in the Arizona Constitution Articles 7 &15, and ARS 9-232. A
AZ SUPREME COURT CASE LOOKUP:
(Vederman v Lizarraga and Cowell)
Jennifer "Jade" Jones
Publisher, The DESERT FREEDOM PRESS
News you can use for Quartzsite and La Paz County, AZ!
Send Letter to Editor